Voted Best Place to Live Beaufort North Carolina Carteret County NC
Established in 1709, Beaufort, N.C., is a quaint coastal town located on Beaufort Inlet, a channel leading south to the Atlantic Ocean. The third oldest town in the state and seat of Carteret County, Beaufort has a residential population of about 4,000 with a high influx of visitor traffic during the warmer months.
Beaufort was first known as Fishtown because the fishing industry was and has been an important part of the county’s history. Beaufort was later named for Henry Somerset, Duke of Beaufort.
Originally a fishing village and port of safety dating from the late 1600s, Beaufort has been visited by patriots, privateers, merchants, and skilled craftsmen who built Bahamian and West Indian-style homes and public buildings. Approximately 150 of the restored historic homes bear plaques noting names of the Town’s earliest known owners and dates of original construction.
The early economy of Beaufort was on the use of natural resources in the area. Hence, fishing, whaling, the production of lumber and naval stores, shipbuilding, and farming were the chief economic activities. Though Beaufort had the safest and most navigable harbor of any of the ports of North Carolina, extensive commercial activities failed to develop, owing to the fact that the town was almost completely isolated from the interior. Now, Beaufort’s economy depends heavily on tourism.
The Plan of Beaufort Towne, laid out in 1713, survives in a 12-block area, which today is on the National Register of Historic Places.
For more history, please read Colonial Beaufort: The History of a North Carolina Town by Charles L. Paul. The document is listed below.
The Rev. Curtis Oden presented Feb. 8, 2016, during a regular meeting of the Board of Commissioners information about African American History in Beaufort as part of the Inspirational Moment.
North Carolina Maritime Museum
When you're visiting the Crystal Coast, be sure to stop by the Maritime Museum in Beaufort for a taste of coastal cultures and maritime history. Exhibits feature the state’s rich seafood industry, life-saving stations and lighthouses, and sailboats and motorboats.
Historic Beaufort NC Downtown Waterfront Video Tour
Historic Beaufort NC downtown waterfront video tour including Taylors Creek, the Dock House, boat docks, Queen Ann's Revenge, the Maritime Museum, and various seafood restaurants.
Beaufort NC is NC's third oldest city in the state and vacation destination for millions of people annually who come to the area for the city's Historic homes and heritage.
The city host the final resting place of Blackbeard the pirate and the area is also known for it's wild houses and ponies that inhabit Carrot Island along Taylors Creek and visible from the Dockhouse and public boat docks.
Beaufort NC is home to many world renowned seafood restaurants including Clawsons Restaurant and Queen Ann's Revenge.
The area is also home to many boat ferry service providers that take people over to Shackleford Island and Cape Lookout.
Living Local: North Carolina Maritime Museum
Living Local: North Carolina Maritime Museum
North Carolina Maritime Museum
North Carolina Maritime Museum
History, Museums: North Carolina's Beaufort Museums
Discover the Outer Banks
The Crystal Coast, Civil War History & Maritime Museum. Visit a part of the past Today. North Carolina Southern Outer Banks.
Along North Carolina's Crystal Coast, beaches, nature and history all wait to be explored, and a new definition of vacation escape is yours to discover.
From the sands of Atlantic Beach and Emerald Isle to the history and quaint accommodations of Beaufort, Morehead City and the Down East area, this unspoiled stretch of the Southern Outer Banks coast is rich with beauty, heritage and activities in, on and around the water. World-class fishing, some of the top scuba diving in the country, and the Cape Lookout National Seashore offer the perfect way to enjoy the ocean, while the North Carolina Aquarium at Pine Knoll Shores brings wonders of the sea to shore.
With so much to experience and explore, the Crystal Coast is the place to leave life as you know it behind and let your imagination run free.
North Carolina Maritime Museum
Blackbeard and Queen Anne's Revenge Exhibit
Beaufort Inn & Suites Beaufort North Carolina
Beaufort Inn & Suites Beaufort North Carolina
is the perfect place to relax in historic Beaufort, NC. We are located right on the water and in the heart of the historic district.
101 Ann Street
Beaufort, North Carolina 28516
You’re sure to get a great night's sleep on our comfortable mattresses and luxurious linens; and you'll appreciate the convenience of a mini fridge, coffee maker, hair dryer, iron and ironing board, cable TV, Wi-Fi, and private balcony.
Each morning, gear up for an exciting day on the town with our complimentary breakfast. During the day you'll enjoy walking down the streets lined with historic homes and beautiful gardens. You can pick up the perfect gift in one of the unique shops or enjoy fresh local seafood at one of the cafes or restaurants.
You'll enjoy relaxing in the rocking chairs on your private balcony where you can watch the boats come in and see amazing sunsets or unwind in our extra large hot tub.
For a great room at a great rate, book your stay today at Beaufort Inn & Suites.
THINGS TO DO
• North Carolina Maritime Museum
• Port City Tour Company
• Hungry Town Tours
• Island Express Ferry Service
• Captain Stacy Fishing Center
• Fort Macon State Park
• Core Sound Waterfowl Museum
• Beaufort Historical Association
• Old Burry Ground
• Harvey W. Smith Water Craft Center
• Amos Mosquitos
• Beaufort Grocery
• Black Sheep
• Blue Moon Bistro
• Clawson's 1905 Restaurant
• Dock House
• Finz Grill
• Front Street Grill
• Floyd’s 1921 Restaurant, Bar, & Catering
• No Name Pizza
• The Spouter Inn
• Royal James Café
• Ribeyes Steakhouse
• Ruddy Ducks Tavern
• Sanitary Fish Market & Restaurant
• Island Traders
• General Store
• Beaufort Pet Provisions
• Beaufort Olive Oil Company
• Seagrass Whimsical Gifts
• Kitty Hawk Surf Co. & Life Is Good
• Jarrett Bay
• Harbor Specialties
• Beaufort Linen Co.
• Morehead Plaza Shopping Company
• Cypress Bay Plaza
Rum Barrel Girl Written and Performed by Gumbo Lily Beaufort NC
There's a cemetery in Beaufort that's simply called The Old Burying Grounds. It is undeniably an old cemetery, the earliest marked grave is dated to 1711. It's beautiful, peaceful old tombstones are covered with a shady canopy of moss-covered live oak trees. But there's one grave in the cemetery that has a story to tell that sadder and stranger than most, and it tells it on the simple wooden plaque that marks the grave and reads Little Girl Buried in a Keg of Rum.
The story begins in the mid-18th Century when a family named Sloo (pronounced Slow) traveled from England to the North Carolina colony bringing with them their infant daughter. Sloo was a merchant captain who made his living trading in the English settlements scattered across the Atlantic. The family was prosperous, and they soon built a gorgeous house which still stands on the Beaufort waterfront.
But despite thriving in the colonies, the mother was homesick and often spoke of England. As the Sloo's daughter grew, hearing her mother's stories, she too began to long to see the distant land where she was born. Whenever her father was about to set sail, she would beg him to take her with him so she could see England for herself.
The father knew that life at sea was difficult. The voyage to England took months, and a sailing ship was no place for a child. But he also wasn't blind to his daughter's happiness. After years of pleading, he finally agreed that she could travel with him. The mother consented to the voyage on one condition, that no matter what happened, he would bring their daughter back to her in Beaufort. And so, one bright morning, leaving his wife behind, Sloo and his daughter set sail for England.
And so the young Sloo girl finally got to see the land where she was born. She delighted in the excitement of London and marveled at being in a land where not everything was new.
But on the return voyage, the father's forebodings proved to be all too true. Just a week or so out of port, the young girl fell ill and died.
It was the custom in those days for anyone who passed away on a ship to be buried at sea. But Captain Sloo couldn't bear to allow his daughter's body to be lost in the depths of the ocean. And he recalled his promise to his wife, no matter what happened, he would bring her daughter home to her in Beaufort.
So the Captain did what he could. There was only one thing on board the ship which could preserve a body, something which every sailing ship carried in copious supply, rum. Captain Sloo gently placed his daughter's body in one of the many barrels of rum in the hold and sealed the barrel shut.
When he returned home with the heartbreaking news to his wife, she wept for her lost daughter. Not wanting to disturb her further by exposing her to the condition of their daughter's body after being soaked in rum for months on end, Sloo arranged for his daughter to be buried in the cemetery with a barrel full of rum as her casket.
Today, the grave of the Rum Girl, as she is known, is one of the most-loved tombs in all of North Carolina. Visitors to the tomb will leave toys, flowers, stuffed animals, beads, and other small tokens of affection when they visit the grave of the Rum Girl in Beaufort's Old Burying Grounds.
But there are some who say that her story doesn't end there. There are those who say that the figure of a young girl can be seen running and playing between the graves in the Old Burying Grounds at night. They say that the tributes left on the young girl's grave are often moved about the graveyard at night, often found sitting balanced on top of other gravestones or in places they couldn't have moved to by just the wind.
How To Get There
The Old Burying Grounds is located on Ann Street in Beaufort. The grave of the Rum Girl is located near the back of the cemetery. The graveyard is open to the public and maintained by the Beaufort Historical Association, which also offers tours of the graveyard.
Appallingly, in June 0f 2016 the grave of the Rum Girl was severely damaged by a vandal who, for unfathomable reasons, set fire to the wooden marker. At the time of writing, The Beaufort Historical Association was hopeful that the grave can be restored, but would certainly be grateful for donations to assist with the repairs and to help with the costs of maintaining this historic site.
'The Tugboat' - Beaufort and Morehead #1860 at NCTM
Has a tugboat engine, a tugboat horn and did it's working life down on the docks... Pulls like a tugboat too.
Beaufort and Morehead #1860: This locomotive was built by the Fairbanks Morse Company of Beloit, Wisconsin and is a model H-12-44. FM entered the locomotive business rather late, basing the power from their opposed-piston marine engines used in diesel submarines used during World War II. This locomotive was originally purchased by the US Army in the 1950s and used at the Sunny Point Military Ocean Terminal before being used to switch the B&M and based in the Morehead City.State Ports. The NC Transportation Museum acquired the locomotive in 2004 after disposition from the State Ports.
NC Baseball Museum | NC Weekend | UNC-TV
Wilson, North Carolina's Fleming Stadium is home to the NC Baseball Museum. Visitors can learn about North Carolina's rich baseball history and discover great North Carolinian players like Luke Appling, Hoyt Wilhelm, Jim Catfish Hunter, and the other four Baseball Hall of Fame players from NC.
Beaufort North Carolina HD- Aerial Footage - Stock Footage - Best Shot Stock Footage
Beaufort North Carolina aerial footage shot originally in HD 1920x1080@24fps.
Beaufort ( /ˈboʊfərt/ boh-fərt) is a town in and the county seat of Carteret County, North Carolina, United States. Established in 1709, it is the third-oldest town in North Carolina. On February 1, 2012, Beaufort was ranked as America's Coolest Small Town by readers of Budget Travel Magazine.
The population was 4,189 at the 2008 census. It is sometimes confused with a city of the same name in South Carolina; the two are distinguished by different pronunciations.
Beaufort is located in North Carolina's Inner Banks region. The town is home to the North Carolina Maritime Museum, the Duke University Marine Laboratory (Nicholas School of the Environment), and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) Center for Coastal Fisheries and Habitat Research. It is also the location of the Rachel Carson Coastal Reserve.
Need more great stock footage? Click here
Grayden Paul Bridge Beaufort NC 1957 - 2018
The Grayden Paul legacy
The Grayden Paul Bridge was named in honor of the late Grayden Muir Paul, who died in 1994 and was considered as successor to Leslie Davis as Beaufort’s “town historian.” Born in Davis in 1899, the son of William Luther Paul and Emeline Willis, Mr. Paul and his family moved to Beaufort about 1911 and lived at 117 Moore St. Mr. Paul completed one year of college at Wake Forest College, and in 1921 he married Mary Clark Wilhelm (1899-1996). The couple had three children – Grayden Jr., Harry Allan and Mary Frazier Paul. By the 1940 census, Grayden Paul was noted as “operator of marine shop; repairs and sales.”
Mr. Paul went on to serve as mayor of Beaufort during World War II (1941-42) and was also on the town board and the Carteret County school board.
In 1960, he also helped organize the Beaufort Historical Association, of which he was finance chairman and business manager. He also came up with the idea for the re-enactments of the 1747 pirate invasion. As noted in a Carteret County News-Times article at the time of his death, “as Mr. Paul himself told it, the only way Beaufort knew for certain it had ever had any pirates ashore was because somebody had found an ancient bill to the town jail for beef to feed the Spanish pirates.”
Best known as a Beaufort storyteller, Mr. Paul started conducting tours as early as 1952. He became a highly visible, all-around Beaufort ambassador and “raconteur,” famous for his double-decker bus tours of the Beaufort historic district. In 1975, he and wife, Mary, co-authored Carteret County, NC: Folklore, Facts and Fiction. In 1976, Mr. Paul was honored by the Historic Preservation Society of North Carolina with an Award of Merit and was the first Beaufort resident ever honored with a key to the city. From 1960 until 1978, Mr. Paul operated schooner-rigged sharpie Alphonso, which he converted into a “Museum of the Sea,” dry-docked on Front Street at the south end of Pollock Street. That site is now Grayden Paul Park, which features a walk-in boat launching area for small craft and an elevated dock and bulkhead that borders Taylor’s Creek. A gazebo and picnic tables add to the amenities.
In a 2015 interview with nccoast, Grayden Paul Jr., now in his 90s, noted that there is talk of making a park where the old drawbridge comes ashore now and naming it after his father to keep the tradition alive.
Roanoke Island Maritime Museum, Manteo NC
Here's a quick look at the Roanoke Island Maritime Museum located in historic Manteo, NC. Roanoke Island was the location of Sir Walter Raleigh's ill-fated Lost Colony. Situated in the Outer Banks of North Carolina there is a long and deep waterman tradition. The museum is open to the public and entry is free.
Around Town: Beaufort
Beaufort has seen a lot in its long, colorful life.
This coastal community, established in 1709 and incorporated in 1723, is the third-oldest town in North Carolina (only Bath and Edenton are older). In the three centuries since its founding, pirates, freed slaves, fishermen, and a host of other travelers have all sought shelter in this quiet corner of Carteret County.
Today, some 4,000 people live there year-round; come summertime, this town swells with folks visiting from across the state and around the world.
Read the Full Story:
Directed by: DL Anderson
Produced by: James Mieczkowski
Cinematography by: Dillon Deaton
Music by: Beau James
About Our State:
Since 1933, Our State has been the trusted resource for all things North Carolina. It’s the perfect source of information for those who’ve lived in North Carolina all their lives, those just becoming acquainted with the state, or those looking to visit or relocate. Discover new places to visit. Try new recipes. Uncover the history, culture, and beauty of North Carolina.
NC Museum of History | Collecting Carolina | NC Weekend | UNC-TV
Wander through the engaging exhibits of the North Carolina Museum of History in Raleigh, and learn about the history and culture of our great state.
Fort Macon, North Carolina - CarolinaBlogging.com
Planning a trip to Fort Macon soon? Sarah from Carolina Blogging breaks down the NC weather, expectations and a few great photo ops in the fort. After a visit to the fort, head over to the NC Maritime Museum in Beaufort, NC and finish the day eating at the Sanitary in Morehead City. Don't forget to subscribe to my channel, leave a comment and give this video a thumbs up if you found it helpful in planning a trip to Fort Macon!
Links in this video:
Fort Macon history:
Directions to Fort Macon:
Events and Programs:
Fees & Rules:
NC Maritime Museum:
Shipwrecks of America's Lost Century
The following is a video recording of the Second Santa Elena Conference sponsored by the Santa Elena Foundation, the South Carolina Institute of Archaeology and Anthropology at the University of South Carolina, Columbia, and the Osher Lifelong Learning Institute at the University of South Carolina, Beaufort. This one-day public conference on 5 April 2019 gathered together a group of eminent maritime historians and nautical archaeologists to share their understanding of seafaring ventures and shipwrecks from the sixteenth century-America’s Lost Century. In addition, the program included a special recognition of the contributions by Dr. Eugene Lyon in illuminating the early maritime and colonial efforts at Santa Elena and in Spanish La Florida.
European expansion into the newly discovered Western Hemisphere during the sixteenth century resulted in numerous shipwrecks–victims of accidents, carelessness, storms, warfare, scuttling, and myriad other hazards and perils. In fact, scarcely two months after discovering and exploring the newly found island in the New World, Columbus lost his largest ship, the nao Santa Maria, on the north coast of the island of Hispaniola. The Americas had claimed their first European shipwreck with many more to follow.
This symposium served to provide an understanding of the various motives, efforts, and results of these early explorers, hunters, and colonizers through use of the historical and archaeological record. Topics under discussion included an overview of the early ships and crews associated with these seafaring voyages westward, colonial ventures, early whaling, transport of goods and products back to Europe, and competing claims between nations to control this new land, most notably at Santa Elena and along the southeastern U.S. coastline of La Florida. The historians and underwater archaeologists on the program have devoted much of their careers to researching this oft forgotten but important phase in the evolution to our modern world.
Presenters include Carla Rahn Phillips, University of Minnesota-Twin Cities; Don Keith, Ships of Discovery; Paul Hoffman, Louisiana State University; Barto Arnold, Institute of Nautical Archaeology; Roger Smith, Florida Division of Historical Resources; John Bratten, University of West Florida; Corey Malcom, Mel Fisher Maritime Museum; Chuck Meide, St. Augustine Lighthouse Archaeological Maritime Program; Brad Loewen, Université de Montréal; and James Spirek, South Carolina Institute of Archaeology and Anthropology.
Welcome and Recognition of Dr. Eugene Lyon, Honorary Symposium Chair.
Dr. Larry Rowland, USC-Beaufort, retired, and Santa Elena Foundation, board member
Opening Remarks by Symposium Organizer and Moderator.
Mr. James D. Spirek
Iberian Seafaring and Naval Operations during the Sixteenth Century.
Professor Carla Rahn Phillips (by video)
Early 16th century shipwrecks in the New World.
Dr. Don Keith
Lucas Vázquez de Ayllón’s discovery of Southeastern North America, 1521-26.
Dr. Paul E. Hoffman
1554 Flota Wreck, Padre Island, Texas.
Mr. Barto Arnold
The Old Spaniard: Exploration and Analysis of the first shipwreck to be discovered from the 1559 expedition to colonize Florida.
Dr. Roger C. Smith
Ballast and Timbers Beneath the Sand: Exploration and Analysis of the Second and Third Shipwrecks to be Discovered from the 1559 Expedition to Colonize Florida.
Dr. John R. Bratten
On the Eve of La Florida: The Wreck of Santa Clara and the Tierra Firme fleet of 1563-1564.
Dr. Corey Malcom
Jean Ribault’s Lost French Fleet of 1565: The Search for and Discovery of the Earliest French Shipwrecks in Florida
Mr. Chuck Meide
The Wreck of the San Juan, a Basque Whaler at Red Bay, Labrador (1565)
Dr. Brad Loewen
“He who has weapons in his fist, and who is the strongest, carries the day”—French Corsairing and the Final Voyage of Le Prince.
Mr. James D. Spirek
Dr. Eugene Lyon and James Spirek
For more information about the Santa Elena Foundation and History Center please visit:
The Corolla Shipwreck - Oldest in North Carlolina?
This shipwreck is thought to be THE oldest one in North Carolina. That would be older than Blackbeard's Queen Anne's Revenge. This wreck was uncovered from the ocean floor during the winter and recently a group has removed it from the beach to preserve it. Currently it sits at the Currituck Beach Lighthouse, but will be moved to the Graveyard of the Atlantic Museum in Hatteras. It is believed to be from the mid-1600's.
The Ghost of Blackbeard
The Ghost of Blackbeard
Edward Teach or Edward Thatch (c. 1680 – 22 November 1718), better known as Blackbeard, was an English pirate who operated around the West Indies and the eastern coast of Britain's North American colonies. Little is known about his early life, but he may have been a sailor on privateer ships during Queen Anne's War before settling on the Bahamian island of New Providence, a base for Captain Benjamin Hornigold, whose crew Teach joined around 1716. Hornigold placed him in command of a sloop that he had captured, and the two engaged in numerous acts of piracy. Their numbers were boosted by the addition to their fleet of two more ships, one of which was commanded by Stede Bonnet; but Hornigold retired from piracy towards the end of 1717, taking two vessels with him.
Teach captured a French merchant vessel, renamed her Queen Anne's Revenge, and equipped her with 40 guns. He became a renowned pirate, his nickname derived from his thick black beard and fearsome appearance; he was reported to have tied lit fuses (slow matches) under his hat to frighten his enemies. He formed an alliance of pirates and blockaded the port of Charles Town, South Carolina, ransoming the port's inhabitants. He then ran Queen Anne's Revenge aground on a sandbar near Beaufort, North Carolina. He parted company with Bonnet and settled in Bath, North Carolina, also known as Bath Town where he accepted a royal pardon. But he was soon back at sea, where he attracted the attention of Alexander Spotswood, the Governor of Virginia. Spotswood arranged for a party of soldiers and sailors to capture the pirate, which they did on 22 November 1718 following a ferocious battle. Teach and several of his crew were killed by a small force of sailors led by Lieutenant Robert Maynard.
#haunted #exploring #history #paranormal
???? NEW: Consider supporting our channel, and checking out our Patreon page at:
???? Visit our on-line database of paranormal locations throughout the United States at:
???? Take a look at some of our paranormal related articles at:
Help Support the Channel by checking out our books on Amazon:
☑️Get our first volume of Our Haunted Travels on Amazon at:
☑️ Get the First Volume of the Our Haunted Travels Coloring Book at:
☑️ Join our Discord at:
☑️ Join us on Facebook at:
☑️ Follow us on Twitter at:
☑️ Make sure you subscribe to our channel at:
☑️ You can also follow us on Instagram at:
Thanks for watching, and happy hunting!