Metropolitan Museum in Riverside
Located in the broad, inland valley of the Santa Ana River in Southern California, Riverside numbered among the wealthiest communities per capita in the nation. The University of California Citrus Experiment Station (core of the present University of California, Riverside) brought a tradition of ground-breaking scientific research to the city. Riverside's renowned Mission Inn hotel, and its inspirational role in the development of the Arts & Craft Style, attracted some of America's foremost entrepreneurs in search of new recreational, aesthetic and business opportunities. Riverside became a magnet for prosperous, educated practitioners of the Arts and Crafts Movement in the West. in the nation.
Out of this context came the Cornelius Earle Rumsey Indian Collection which later became the Riverside Municipal Museum now known as the Riverside Metropolitan Museum (RMM). The Museum opened in the basement of City Hall on December 12, 1924, when the widow of National Biscuit Company (NABISCO) magnate Cornelius Earle Rumsey donated his collection of Native American artifacts to the City of Riverside. An ordinance, amending the City Charter and establishing a Municipal Museum, was adopted by the City Council on August 27, 1925. The current mission statement found in the city ordinance states that, All collections and exhibits of the Museum shall generally reflect but shall not necessarily be limited to the specific interpretations of the history, natural history and anthropology of the City and County of Riverside and the immediate environs of southern California. From 1924 on, the collections have grown, typically through donations by prominent citizens and organizations, contributing to RMM holdings in the disciplines of local history, natural history, and anthropology. From 1925-48, the RMM was located in the basement of the old City Hall building on Riverside's Seventh Street (now Mission Inn Avenue).
In 1987, the main museum building and Heritage House were placed on the National Register of Historic Places. In 2005, the Riverside Municipal Museum changed its name to Riverside Metropolitan Museum.
New Home of the Riverside Municipal Museum, 1948
In 1948, the Museum was moved to the basement of the former U. S. Post Office, adjacent to the old City Hall, a Renaissance Revival-style structure, built in 1912-14. The main exhibits, administration offices, anthropology, natural history curatorial offices, collections storage, and registrar's office carried on their activities in this building. The history curatorial office/collections and exhibits services eventually moved to an annex, a converted Safeway Supermarket, located four blocks from the main building.
Era of Expansion and Professionalization, 1961-78
During the early 60s and 70s, the RMM broke out of its traditional role as being simply a depository of donations from City notables. New exhibits and community-oriented programs, made possible by substantial involvement of the Junior League of Riverside, brought about expansion of the Museum to all floors of the old Post Office, which was remodeled into its current configuration between 1962 and 1965. Museum staff expanded from three to twenty-eight paid positions. World famous naturalist, and Riverside resident, Edmund C. Jaeger, served as Curator of Plants, and his presence inspired the Junior League to fund creation of the Nature Study Lab facility in his name. Accreditation by the American Association of Museums (AAM) came in 1972, with the visiting committee's report citing the RMM as a model institution of its type.
Creation of the Riverside Museum Associates
A product of the Junior League's involvement in museum programs, the Riverside Museum Associates (RMA) was officially incorporated as a private supporting group for the Museum in 1963 (3)-status membership organization and a California non-profit corporation). The RMA came to form the basis for continuing community support for the RMM, providing volunteer services as well as financial assistance. In 1969, the RMA and the Junior League helped expand RMM programs through the purchase of an 1891 Queen Anne-style home, today known as Heritage House (located on Magnolia Avenue, six miles from the museum). It was eventually fully restored for use in local history interpretation as a house museum, and title to the property was transferred from the RMA to the City.
Washington, D.C., formally the District of Columbia and commonly referred to as Washington, the District, or simply D.C., is the capital of the United States, founded on July 16, 1790. The City of Washington was originally a separate municipality within the Territory of Columbia until an act of Congress in 1871 effectively merged the City and the Territory into a single entity called the District of Columbia. It is for this reason that the city, while legally named the District of Columbia, is known as Washington, D.C. The city shares its name with the U.S. state of Washington, which is located on the country's Pacific coast.
The city is located on the north bank of the Potomac River and is bordered by the states of Virginia to the southwest and Maryland to the other sides. The District has a resident population of 599,657; because of commuters from the surrounding suburbs, its population rises to over one million during the workweek. The Washington Metropolitan Area, of which the District is a part, has a population of 5.3 million, the ninth-largest metropolitan area in the country.
Article One of the United States Constitution provides for a federal district, distinct from the states, to serve as the permanent national capital. The centers of all three branches of the federal government of the United States are located in the District, as are many of the nation's monuments and museums. Washington, D.C. hosts 174 foreign embassies as well as the headquarters of the World Bank, the International Monetary Fund (IMF), the Organization of American States (OAS), the Inter-American Development Bank, and the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO). The headquarters of other institutions such as trade unions, lobbying groups, and professional associations are also located in the District.
The city is governed by a mayor and a 13-member city council. However, the United States Congress has supreme authority over Washington, D.C., and may overturn local laws. Residents of the District therefore have less self-governance than residents of the states. The District has a non-voting, at-large Congressional delegate, but no senators. D.C. residents could not vote in presidential elections until the ratification of the Twenty-third Amendment to the United States Constitution in 1961.
( source Wikipedia )
6753 Canyon Hill Drive, Riverside CA
FOR SALE: Exclusive Riverside Estate | Stunning canyon views. private tennis / basketball court, swimming pool, and just a few of the amenities you can enjoy at this spectacular Riverside Estate. Visit 6753canyonhilldrive.com for more information on the property. Listing Courtesy of Matt Whitcomb, Keller Williams Realty | 949.560.0959
Don George: The Way of Wanderlust | Talks at Google
Professional travel writer and editor, Don George, speaks from his latest book, The Way of Wanderlust.
The book is a collection of his stories and essays from over 40 years of travel writing, beginning with a 1977 climb of Mt. Kilimanjaro and concluding with a 2015 adventure in the jungles of Cambodia.
You can find more about Don at don-george.com . His book is available on Google Play: